1) Why should I dance?
It’s an excellent way to experience joy and lift the spirit. It improves your sense of rhythm, balance, and coordination. It is a great way to exercise and socialize in a fun and welcoming environment. It also helps develop leadership skills and explore partner connection.
2) What do I wear to class?
You can wear just about anything you want! It's always best to dress in something you feel comfortable moving in. Lightweight clothing is good to wear as Latin dancing can be quite a workout. Most students come to class dressed casually (eg. yoga pants, t-shirts, etc). If you are coming from work then business attire is fine too.
Shoes: You do not need to purchase special dance shoes for your first set of lessons. We recommend shoes that have a smooth sole and is secure to your foot (flip flops and sling backs are not recommended.) Sticky rubber soles can stick to the floor and can make it difficult to turn or spin. Wearing socks in the beginning is fine too.
(NOTE: Please bring an indoor pair of shoes, rather than wearing them to class to keep the dance floor free of debris and water.)
3) Do I need a partner to take your classes?
Partners are always welcome but it is not necessary to join with a partner. Our classes have couples who prefer not to rotate and others that do. We try to have all partners rotate to work on their skills. This is a great way to meet new people and to become a better dancer too!
4) I can’t dance, what if I can’t keep up?
Most students find our class pace just right. However, everyone learns at a different pace. Though we also recommend practicing at home after your class, if you find the class difficult, additional private lessons are another great option.
5) Can I pay as I go (drop-in)?
We understand your schedule may prevent you from taking a continuing series of classes. We allow drop-in attendance for our group classes at a rate of $20 per person. We also offer special drop-in only classes. Please check our schedule to see what is coming up next. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will help accommodate you as best we can.
6) What if I have to miss a class due to work, vacation or illness?
If you know you will miss a class, please let us know as soon as you can. There are no refunds or credits for missed classes. If you need to cancel your program registration before a series begins, please refer to our cancellation and refund policies for more information.
7) is annapolis valley dance company insured?
Yes, we are insured! However, as with all exercise, every body is different, and we expect you to dance within your own limits, at your own risk. We are not responsible for any injuries sustained during any of our lessons or events.
8) HOW WILL I KNOW WHEN IT'S TIME TO MOVE ON TO THE NEXT LEVEL?
All of our classes are designed to be inclusive. Regardless of your previous experience, we encourage all students to start at the beginning. This gives us the chance to get to know you, while giving you the opportunity to see how you feel prior to moving on to a more challenging course.
Please note that if you register for an intermediate class and we feel that you're not quite ready, we will provide you with other options. This will help to ensure that you're comfortable with your class placement and that others will not be held back unnecessarily.
9) WHAT HAPPENS TO THE PHOTOS AND VIDEOS TAKEN DURING CLASSES & EVENTS?
Annapolis Valley Dance Company reserves the right to record, capture, and document all classes and events. These photos and videos help with quality assurance and serve as educational and promotional tools for our business, to be utilized at our discretion. If you do not consent to this, please let us know in writing prior to attending your first class or event, so that we can protect your privacy. If at any point you voluntarily join a group photo (often taken at events and on the last day of a course), be aware that it will be made public.
10) CAN I RECORD LESSONS OR TAKE MY OWN PHOTOS DURING CLASSES OR EVENTS?
The short answer is NO. Not everyone is comfortable being caught on camera and some people are shy about saying so. To protect the privacy of our students to ensure a safe space is upheld for everyone, no cell phones, cameras or recording devices are permitted in our classes. If you'd like to take a photo or video at the end of class, please ask your instructor to help facilitate one for you (we know who's withdrawn consent and who has not).
- Annapolis Valley Dance Company strives to create and maintain a positive learning environment that is inclusive, safe, and fun for everyone. Therefore, negativity of any kind is counterproductive and not welcome here. To ensure that our commitment to our students and community is upheld, we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone at anytime and will do so at our discretion, as needed.
- We know that learning to dance is exciting and expect you to work together to learn your new moves. As a result, the noise level in the class can become elevated, making it difficult for some people to hear the instructions. Therefore, please be respectful and refrain from speaking when the teachers are speaking.
- To protect the privacy of our students to ensure a safe space is upheld for everyone, no cell phones, cameras or recording devices are permitted in our classes.
- We welcome communication with our students and value your input, but ask that you do so in a way that is respectful to your teachers and fellow students. We ask that any questions, comments, or feedback pertaining to anything other than the lesson be brought to our attention after class. You can also send us an email to email@example.com or use the feedback form provided.
- No cellphones in class! Please ensure that they're on silent and if you need to take a call, please do so outside.
- To keep the air clean for everyone and reduce the risk of a severe allergic reaction, we have a strict no scents policy.
- Announcements about upcoming events and AVDC community news will be addressed in classes as needed, to ensure that everyone is in the loop. To avoid overwhelming our students, additional solicitation and self-promotion in our classes is strictly prohibited.
- As dancers, teachers, and entertainers, we invest a great deal of time, money and dedicated effort honing and maintaining our crafts. Being a professional creative team requires hours of planning and preparation before anyone hits the dance floor.
- On top of creating lesson plans, musical playlists, rehearsing choreography, buying and maintaining wardrobe, travelling, setting up and other tasks, it is always time consuming to prepare for an event. Our schedules fill up months in advance and accepting an offer for any engagement means that we are not available for other things.
- When Annapolis Valley Dance Company agrees to provide a service, we are committing to you. Therefore, we expect you to commit to us in return.
- All bookings must be confirmed in writing and include a non-refundable deposit equal to 25% of the total price, provided upon booking. This is to secure us for the date. Please note that all payments for all bookings must be made by e-transfer. Cheques will not be accepted.
- Any booking cancelled within 30 days of the scheduled date will be subject to an additional cancellation fee equal to 25% of the total price. That means if you cancel at the last minute for any reason, you still owe us half of the agreed upon price. Any booking made less than 30 days from the scheduled date will be subject to a deposit of 50% of the agreed upon price, to be paid at the time of the booking.
- In the event of illness, inclement weather, emergency, or unforeseen circumstances which prevent Annapolis Valley Dance Company from being able to provide services as set out in the contract, AVDC reserves the right to cancel at anytime. In the unlikely event that this occurs, the deposit will be returned to the client in full and the engagement will be re-scheduled.
- We understand that life happens and sometimes plans change unexpectedly. We’ve created a cancellation policy to ensure that we’re both on the same page about the commitment we’re making to each other when you make your purchase.
- Our students reserve the right to withdraw interest or discontinue attending classes at their own discretion at any time. However, the client understands that Annapolis Valley Dance Company is not obligated to refund any money for products or services purchased once a transaction has been made.
- AVDC has the right to reschedule or cancel any advertised class or event. Classes and events postponed due to inclement weather or instructor illness will always be rescheduled.
REFUND POLICY FOR ALL OFFERINGS:
Within 24 hours of purchase and classes have not begun – Full refund will be granted.
Within 48 hours of purchase and classes have not begun – 50% refund will be granted.
After 72 hours of purchase – NO REFUNDS.
It's okay if you need to miss a class, we've created practice videos to help you catch up on your own time. However, there will be no refunds or credits for missed classes once the program has started.
In special circumstances, a credit of equal value may be issued to the participant for use within the same calendar year. The company reserves the right to determine this on a case-by-case basis. There is no guarantee that future credit will be granted once a program has commenced.